Liver and kidney transplant surgery center at Acibadem Hospitals: 5 breakthroughs in Turkey and worldwide
Organ Transplant Center at Acibadem Hospital performs liver and kidney transplant surgery from living and cadaver donors.
For international recipients seeking living donor transplantation in Turkey, it is necessary to first apply to local authorities in their home country to receive an official proof of fourth-degree relations with a donor or closer. Spouse family can also become donors and are evaluated in the same way. Donors should be at least 18-year-old mentally stable individuals with healthy kidneys.
With 2,000 kidney transplants, prof.Dr.Alihan Gurkan heads Organ Transplantation Center and is known for a number of world’s breakthroughs
Career history of prof.Dr.Alihan encompasses:
- the first kidney transplant surgery to the recipient with the lowest body weight (7,5 kg) in the world
- the first liver and kidney transplant surgery to the lowest body weight recipient (up to 8 kg) in the world
- the first kidney transplant surgery to the most elderly recipient in Turkey
- the first kidney-heart transplant surgery in Turkey
- the first liver transplantation from the most elderly cadaver donor in the world
Before kidney transplant surgery, all potential recipients are examined by a nephrologist. Kidney transplantation at Acibadem Hospital is performed laparoscopically. It means surgeons led by prof.Dr.Gurkan make a few 5 cm long cuts in the abdominal cavity to insert camera, medical instruments, and a light source. Compared to open surgery, for a patient it means lower infection risk and less pain during the postoperative period.
After kidney transplant surgery, recipients may leave the hospital in 7 days while donors may be discharged in a day time period.
Prof.Dr.Remzi Emiroglu and his team at Organ Transplantation Center has performed over 200 liver transplant surgeries
As little as 25 percent of the healthy part of a liver can regenerate itself being the only human organ with restorative capacity. Given the life-saving power, only a part of live donor’s liver is ample for the transplant surgery.
The medical experience of prof. Dr. Remzi Emiroglu includes:
- 200 liver transplant surgeries and over 200 kidney transplant surgeries
- the first liver transplants in adult and pediatric patients in Bursa (Turkey)
- over 100 academic papers on transplantation
Before liver transplant surgery, all potential recipients undergo a thorough examination for liver failure. After the surgery, recovery period for recipients lasts up to 20 days while donors have to stay at the hospital up to 7 days after the surgery.
Acibadem Hospitals Istanbul has an increased focus on donor protection program which helps donors and their family members to receive required medical assistance, follow-up care, and psychological support.
PS. If you or your family member needs help, please fill in the form on the right and one of our managers will get back to you in 24 hours.