Endocrinology helps fight infertility and obesity to name a few
Endocrinology is a medical specialty that focuses on endocrine glands, the behavior of hormones and their metabolic activity. These days roughly 3 million American both adults and children undergo diabetes treatment (type 1) while hypothyroidism is observed in 1 million adults in the UK.
In addition to the diabetes treatment, endocrinologists also target:
- growth disorders
- pituitary disorders
The causes of these conditions are normally of two origins: when a gland produces an excessive or insufficient amount of hormones and when a lesion appears in the endocrine system. Disorders linked to hormones may also include genetic mutations, injury to a gland, infection etc.
Whatever the cause, endocrinologists are right there to provide you with professional medical assistance depending on your case, i.e. medications, radioisotopes, radiation therapy, individualized physical therapy, or surgery.
5 questions to ask your endocrinologist during your first appointment at an overseas clinic:
- What type of treatment would you recommend trying first?
- What is your experience/education in treating patients with endocrine disorders?
- What are causes of my health problem?
- What medicines will you be using to treat my disease?
- How will my follow-up care look like?