Rigvir® in South Africa: Top-10 FAQs About Working Mode, Side Effects and Availability
1. What is Rigvir®? Rigvir® is an oncolytic virus ECHO-7, that was discovered near 50 years ago by prof. Aina Muceniece. It has proved its ability to fight cancer, that’s why more and more people around the globe are searching for a clinic to have Rigvir® course.
2. How exactly does it work? The medicine is stored in cooled vials, and after a patient had been admitted to treatment, an oncologist makes an injection into a muscle. The drug starts roaming a patient’s organism to detect malignant cells. Once they are found, Rigvir®gets inside and destroys them from within.
3. Does Rigvir® have any side effects? Rigvir® is a well-tolerated drug with only a few side effects reported such as fatigue, sleepiness, and slight temperature rise up to 37.5°C. That’s because Rigvir® mobilizes your immune system while attacking your cancer cells. The tissues surrounding your tumor are not affected.
4. What cancer types can Rigvir® be used to treat? Rigvir® can be used to treat only solid malignancies:
- sarcomas: lymphosarcoma, angiosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, reticulosarcoma, and rhabdomyosarcoma
- colorectal cancer
- pancreatic cancer
- bladder cancer
- prostate cancer
- neuroendocrine tumors
- kidney cancer
- uterine cancer
- breast cancer
- ovarian cancer
Therefore, blood cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma remain beyond its reach.
5. Can Rigvir® treat cancer in children? Unfortunately, there are no clinical trials conducted that demonstrate the effectiveness of Rigvir® among children. The medicine can only be prescribed to individuals aged 18 or older.
6. Is Rigvir® registered in South Africa? To date, Rigvir® is registered in three countries — Latvia since 2005, Georgia since 2015, and Armenia since 2016. The Rigvir® manufacturing company has recently received a grant from the European Commission funding program to meet a number of criteria and become available throughout Europe. Therefore, healthcare authorities such as the Medicines Control Council (MCC) and Health Products Association (HPA) currently remain out of the focus.
7. If it’s not registered in South Africa, where should I turn to get Rigvir® treatment? We’ve mentioned that Rigvir® is gradually becoming accessible on European market, so that one of the best clinics that offers 7-day Rigvir® treatment it located in Brannenburg, Germany. The clinic has already succeeded in treating more than 3,000 patients from cancer.
8. Does this clinic use only Rigvir® for treatment, or I can have more than 1 therapy? Rigvir® is well-combined both with traditional cancer fighting techniques (radio and chemo), as well as other methods of alternative medicine. That’s why the medical team is likely to prescribe you additional therapies available onsite after thorough examination of your case:
Local hyperthermia is generally used to kill prostate cancer cells via heat destroying them from the inside.
Detox suits well for almost every patient as it’s aim is to purify your body from harmful compounds and absorb more healthy nutrients.
Gentle surgery implies minimum invasion into your body: done with the least number of cuts to improve your recovery process.
Acupuncture is needle therapy that relaunches energy flow in your body to help it fight the disease.
Buserelin therapy helps to manage the volume of reproductive hormones in your body and is mainly used for prostate and breast cancer treatment.
9. Who are the doctors who do the initial assessment of my case? The medical team performing the eligibility assessment of your case consists of Germany-based doctors with 30+ years of experience in virotherapy.
10. How to find out if Rigvir® can help me? We’ve described it in brief in the following paragraph.
MRI and 5 More Documents Are Needed For German Team To Evaluate Your Case Within 48–72 For Virotherapy in South Africa
If your cancer type is Rigvir® sensitive (please see the list above), take a look at these medical files you’ll need to submit:
- MRI, CT
- Cytological files
- Histopathological findings
- Recent blood count (maximum of 2 weeks)
- Biochemical analysis (ALT, creatinine)
Once you provide them in digital format (.jpg/.pdf./docx), it will take between 48–72 hours for the medical team to review your case and email you the results. If you have all of them right now, just press the button below to upload:
We respect your privacy: only doctors will take a look at your personal medical data.
If you get approved for virotherapy, the medical team will recommend you to arrive in Germany to complete a 7-day treatment program.
7 Days of Rigvir® Treatment in Brannenburg: What’s Also Included?
- Transfer to and from Munich International Airport
- Check up whether you are not allergic to Rigvir®
- Consultations with medical team: therapist, oncologist etc.
- Rigvir® injections
- Nice and comfortable accommodation with all the necessary facilities
- Organic nutrition, prescribed by a local nutritionist (if you’re a vegetarian, you’ll have a separate menu)
- Local hyperthermia, detox, acupuncture or any other therapy that doctors will prescribe you to enhance your health condition.
The total cost of the package makes 6,000.00 EUR (roughly ZAR 95,500.00).
I have never been to Germany. How long does it take to get there and what’s the price range? To get to Munich International Airport, you will need to make a stopover in Abu-Dhabi or in Cairo. For example, the total cost for your one-way ticket from Johannesburg to Munich makes around ZAR 5,420.00. As for the flight time, you’ll spend 14–18 hours in the air. The English-speaking driver will meet you at the airport and bring you directly to the clinic.
Rigvir®-Related Numbers You Should Know If You Are Looking For Virotherapy in South Africa
- The 3-year survival rate among patients with melanoma treated with surgery as the only method was 46–58%. Melanoma patients that were treated with both surgery and Rigvir® featured a three-year survival rate of 57–84% and a five-year survival rate of 44–66%.
- The 3-year survival rate and five-year survival rate for patients diagnosed with eye melanoma made 90% and 70%, respectively.
- The 5-year post-surgery survival rate for patients diagnosed with stage 3 stomach cancer was 24–33%, compared to 47–60% for patients who received therapy with Rigvir®.
- The 5-year post-surgery survival rate for patients diagnosed with stage 2–4 rectal cancer was 41–68%, compared to 71–78% for patients who received therapy with Rigvir®.
The results of one of the recent studies on Rigvir® was published in October 2015 in a peer-reviewed medical journal Melanoma Research:
“An oncolytic, nonpathogenic ECHO-7 virus adapted for melanoma that has not been genetically modified (Rigvir®) is approved and registered for virotherapy, an active and specific immunotherapy, in Latvia since 2004… These results indicate that the patients treated with Rigvir® had a 4.39–6.57-fold lower mortality than those under observation…
Rigvir® is far from being an all-purpose drug. If it turns out during the initial assessment of your case that you cannot benefit from Rigvir® cancer therapy, the medical team will immediately notify you about it.
We understand that you still have questions about Rigvir® cancer treatment in South Africa. Please fill out the form by pressing the button below and we’ll get back to you with further instructions within 24 hours but normally much sooner.
List of References
Brūvere, R., O., Heisele A. Ferdats, A. Rupais, and A. Muceniece, Echovirus-mediated biotherapy for malignant tumours: 40 years of investigation. Acta medica Lituanica, 2002. Suppl. 9: p. 97-100.
“Adapted ECHO-7 Virus RigVir Immunotherapy (oncolytic Virotherapy) Prolongs Survival in Melanoma Patients after Surgical Excision of the Tumour in a Retrospective Study.” Doniņa, Simona; Strēle, Ieva; Proboka, Guna; Auziņš, Jurgis; Alberts, Pēteris; Jonsson, Björn; Venskus, Dite; Muceniece, Aina. Melanoma Research: October 2015 - Volume 25 - Issue 5 - p 421–426.
Alberts, P., E. Olmane, L. Brokāne, Z. Krastiņa, M. Romanovska, K. Kupčs, S. Isajevs, G. Proboka, R. Erdmanis, J. Nazarovs, and D. Venskus, Long-term treatment with the oncolytic ECHO-7 virus Rigvir of a melanoma stage IV M1c patient, a small cell lung cancer stage IIIA patient, and a histiocytic sarcoma stage IV patient-three case reports. APMIS, 2016. 124(10): p. 896-904.